- Appointing a new member of staff in your Music Department?
- Need guidance in preparing a development plan?
- Desperate to put your music department on the map?
- Need assistance managing a music project?
William Saunders is a rare talent: a virtuoso musician who is also an outstanding educator. A very successful Director of Music, William has a superb understanding of how schools work. He used his knowledge and experience to help us identify the best candidates for two new posts in the Stowe Music Department. His notes and feedback on each candidate are a model of their kind – I certainly learned a lot from reading William’s detailed observations!
Having had 15 years of experience working in independent schools, latterly as Director of Music at a large boarding school for the past seven years, I am happy to offer my experience if you require the additional help of an external advisor.
“Thank you for your assistance in appointing our next Director of Music. The necessary skillset for the role is so wide that it is difficult to assess candidates fairly without the involvement of someone who has done the job before. Your expertise was invaluable and I (and the candidates) appreciated your tactful yet thorough approach”.
Robert Teague, Headmaster The Cedars School Croydon
Time is precious so I have highlighted some of my skills below which might be of help to you when appointing a new member of music staff, considering the long term development of your music department or setting your sights on being the best school for music in your locality.
- Written, oversaw, implemented and managed the delivery of a new music curriculum for all year groups which resulted in exam class numbers increasing significantly
- Had overall responsibility for increasing numbers and attendance in all musical activities – five choirs, orchestra, marching and concert band, big band, rock groups, chamber ensembles, music tech clubs, musicianship surgery.
- Expanded provision of individual music lessons to over 400 per week
- Compiled and implemented a visionary five year development plan in order to give new direction into a stagnant department
- Wrote and implemented new department handbook, Visiting Music Teacher handbook and department policies
- Experienced in managing a large, multifaceted department – appointment and recruitment, management, training, appraisal of all members of staff – Head of Academic Music, Music Technology Teacher, School Organist, Music Administrator, Bandmaster and 22 Visiting Music Teachers
- Was responsible for four music budgets; its distribution and expenditure between events and departments in excess of £100K annually as well as raising £15K per annum via the Friends of Music scheme
- Was responsible for 50+ concerts which took place annually as part of the music programme offered to the school and the wider community. These ranged from informal lunchtime concerts to those which attract audiences of 800+ paying members of the public. Booked professional musicians (including complete orchestras), arranged programmes and brochures, sourced sponsorship and had overall responsibility for advertising and promotion. These, over the course of each year, regularly made a profit.
- Recent partnerships have included working with the BBC Big Band, Courtney Pine, Matthew Ford (jazz singer), Swingle Singers, National Youth Choir of Great Britain, HM Royal Marines Training Band and the Royal College of Organists
- Initiated various music outreach projects with feeder and local schools – Sing Up Suffolk regularly attracted 800 primary school children, Blast Up Suffolk for brass and percussion, GCSE and A Level composition days, A Level study day, masterclasses and lectures and CPD days for music professionals.
Additionally I am experienced in the following –
- writing and implementing development plans
- project managing events from yearly concert programmes to organising international tours
- forming musical partnerships with local and national organisations
- establishing financial giving schemes to fund specific initiatives
If I can be of help to your establishment please do get in contact via the contact page
Click here to download the new consultancy brochure Consultancy 2020